In KS1, reading is taught through daily phonics lessons, as well as daily guided reading sessions. This works on a carousel basis, with children being exposed to a variety of activities throughout the week.
- Reading an ability-appropriate book with an adult and engaging in discussion questions as well as exploring vocabulary.
- Reading their banded reading book with an adult.
- Reading for pleasure in the book corner.
- Independently playing phonics games
- Working independently to practise spellings and vocabulary.
Once per week, the class is taught whole class, to read an unseen text and answer comprehension questions (based on VIPERS) about the text. The children may be working independently or with an adult. The children are taught to use the text to support their answers.