Term 2 - Celebrations
Our topic in term two is 'Celebrations'. In the this project, your child will learn about what celebrations are, the reasons behind why celebrations are important and the fact that not everyone participates in the same celebrations. We will learn about a range of different cultural celebrations, and encourage the children to share their experiences of participating in these. We will also learn explicitly about the celebrations which occur within term two, which include:
- Bonfire Night
- Remembrance Day
- World Kindness Day
- Winter (Seasonal Celebrations)
- Solstices (Seasonal Celebrations)
- New Year
We are aware that not all children will celebrate these occasions, and we are also aware that there are a vast number of celebrations that some children will celebrate that are not covered in this list. We will be exploring and learning about other celebrations throughout the year, when and as they occur, to support a contextual understanding of these celebrations.
Please speak to a member of staff if there are any celebrations occurring between October 30th - January 2nd that you would like us to cover.
Throughout this topic, we are encouraging an understanding and respect for different cultural celebrations, and this further supports and builds upon our 'All About Me' topic from term one.
Supporting your child at home
- Share and discuss their past experiences about celebrating culturally and personally significant events. Please share these on Tapestry so we can explore these in class!
- Celebrate and participate in some of the celebrations when they occur throughout the term.
- Discuss and explore personal traditions associated with the celebrations you participate in at home.
Words to use and explore:
We will be reading the books-
- Celebrations Around the World by Katy Halford
- When is My Birthday? by Julie Fogliano
- The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
- Busy Nativity by Campbell Books